(11 Jun 2016)
This is a minor update containing one Windows-specific bug fix.
This version is released only on Windows platform. Linux latest version is 1.4.2.
- Bug fix for Windows 7 and 10, displaying error message:
"This application failed to start because it could not
find or load the Qt platform plugin "windows"."
(11 Jun 2016)
This is a free version of 1.4.3.
(09 Nov 2015)
Free version of 1.4.2
(09 Nov 2015)
- Bug fix: Incorrect loading of study data.
- Translation updates
(29 Oct 2015)
Free version of 1.4.1
(27 Oct 2015)
- Spaced repetition algorithm: Don't add new cards, if there are too many scheduled cards for today. Add this number as a configurable study setting.
- Autosave study file each 3 minutes.
- Spaced repetition algorithm: One-day-old learning cards are promoted directly to normal learned cards, if the user gives a positive grade.
- Spaced repetition window: Improve look of the statistic number boxes.
- Card answer view: add a small spacing between the first answer and the others
- Study settings dialog: improve layout
- Spaced repetition window: Fix drawing of the last section of the study progress bar.
- Spaced repetition window: Fix shortcut for button "4".
- Spaced repetition window: improve font of the grade buttons
(12 Oct 2015)
Free version (GPL 3 license).
The difference in comparison with the commercial version is that the following features are removed:
- Card statistics view
- Preview of cards
- Exact answer mode in study
- Export to CSV file
(03 Sep 2015)
- Added "Exact answer" mode
- New look of the grade buttons (Spaced repetition window)
- Removed grade 2 "Not completely correct".
- New cards are shown with "New" label
- Introduced learning steps for new cards: must be repeated 2 times at the first day
- Available grade buttons depend on the status of the shown card:
- New cards have just "OK" and "Easy" grades
- Learning cards do not have "Difficult" grade
- For incorrect cards, replaced card-based intervals with short time intervals: 20 sec and 1 min
- New look of the study progress bar (Spaced repetition window)
- New statistic page "Study progress" - studied, scheduled for today and future cards
- The current session (opened dictionaries) is saved on exit, and is loaded at startup.
- Example dictionaries are available online. Not included in the installation.
- Online documentation describes used Spaced repetition algorithm in detail
- Trial version uses a Product Key, which is available at the web site.
- One commercial license allows installation on 3 computers
- Removed offline activation mode
(25 May 2015)
- Added card statistics: number of studied and scheduled cards by days.
- Added free trial version: 30 days
- Can change language of the user interface in the main menu
- Added German translation
(20 Oct 2014)
- Added card preview for dictionary records
- Display image thumbnails in dictionary view (instead of plain HTML tags)
- Add images with GUI
- New study setting: Day starts at 3 o'clock (adjustable).
- Affects day limits for all and new cards
- Added Welcome screen with big buttons to create new dictionary, open examples, etc.
- Updated icons for "Word drill", "Spaced repetition" and "Search"
- Added translations: French and Spanish
(20 Oct 2012)
- Bug fix with creation of new dictionaries
(18 Oct 2012)
- Modifying records in the dictionary updates the shown cards at the study window
- Save last used working directory in the user settings.
- Can undo the following actions in the dictionary view:
- modify a record
- insert/paste records
- remove/cut records
- Modern search pane in the dictionary view
- Can edit the current card at the study view. The editing view has the same context menu as the dictionary view.
- Can delete the current card at the study view
- The dictionary files (.fmd) are associated with Fresh Memory application. Can double-click a dictionary to open them.
- Shrink row height and show grid in the dictionary view.
- In "Recent files" menu: add path after file name
- New study file format (1.1): save current card name and intervals of delayed cards
- Increase new card day limit to 20.
- Linux deb-package:
- file association with .fmd dictionaries + application icon.
- enlarge main icon to 128x128.
- Windows installer:
- application icon in the Start menu and Explorer
- file association with .fmd dictionaries + application icon
(21 Mar 2012)
- Fixed crash: With opened study window, closing the main window crashes the application.
- Minor improvements in the study window.
(01 Mar 2012)
- Bug fix: The study crashed on showing answer or next card, after dictionary was changed and saved.
- Bug fix: Can't save study data for example dictionaries.
- Reason: the example dictionaries are installed at a system path, not writeable by usual user.
- Fix: The example dictionaries are copied to the user application data directory on the first application launch.
- Linux: ~/.config/freshmemory/dictionaries
- Windows 2000/XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<User>\Application Data\freshmemory\dictionaries
- Windows Vista/7: C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\freshmemory\dictionaries
- This path is set as default for opening a dictionary.
- Filter *.fmd files in the Open dictionary dialog.
- Show full dictionary path in the dictionary tab tooltip.
- Show full file paths in error dialogs.
- Fix the "Study progress" tooltip in Spaced repetition window: unreadable yellow color on non-Ubuntu systems.
- Added: Czech (by Pavel Fric), Finnish, Ukrainian.
- Improved: Russian.
- Source project file:
- Fix resource paths
- Fix paths for Windows
- Search "Known issue" in README file
- Show file paths with native path separators ('\').
- Debian package: added "Installed size" field (makes Ubuntu Software Center happy)
(15 Dec 2008)
Features of 0.4-beta and 0.4-alpha, plus:
- Minor bug fixes: The postponed cards (0- and 1-graded) are handled incorrectly:
- when the time-scheduled cards are over
- when opening and closing the Spacedrep tool without actually repeating anything
- GUI: Change key shortcuts to Ctrl+W, F5, F6 (close tab, Word drill, Spaced repetition).
- GUI: Change the "Quit" buttons to "Close" in the study tool windows.
(02 Dec 2008)
- Save/Load the unrepeated cards data to/from the study file
- Autosave of the study data: on closing of the Spaced repetition window and on the end of the scheduled cards.
- Added manual saving of the study data (File menu)
- Swapping question and answer. Don't mark dictionary as modified. If a study window is running, save the study data and restart the tool.
- When the main window is closed, correctly stop and close the opened study tool without any message boxes. The study data is saved.
- Show as status messages the number of loaded study records, added scheduled and unrepeated cards.
- Spaced repetition: Show the "Reversed" button (swap questions and answers), when the scheduled cards are over.
- New cards view in the study windows: yellow cards with field name labels.
- Spaced repetition: Increase the postponing interval of 0-grade cards to 7 cards.
- Spaced repetition: Decrease the unrepeated cards day limit to 10.
- Change the control toolbars in the study windows with ordinary buttons.
- Fixed labels, icons, tooltips and other GUI elements.
- Bug fixes (the description is the incorrect behavior):
- Opening a dictionary with study data changes its state to Content Modified.
- Automatic keyword detection in examples doesn't highlight the whole word
- Automatic scheduling of 0- and 1-graded cards calculates the postponing interval incorrectly.
- A card without the answer is treated as valid.
- Spaced rep: If there are no active cads in the future, pressing "Next day" button results in infinite loop.
- Both study tools: Crashes or incorrect GUI when the current card is deleted.
(19 Nov 2008)
- Spaced repetition algorithm, based on SM-2. The study data is kept in a user-specific directory.
- Support for multiple fields in cards. A dictionary can have cards with many languages.
- All dictionaries, cards and fields are identified with UUIDs. It is possible to add/remove cards or fields in a dictionary without any negative effects to the study data.
- Support of image includes: <img src="">
- Basic HTML tags: <b>, <i>, ...
- Back compatibility with 0.3 version dictionaries
(26 Nov 2007)
- Changed the dictionary file format for an XML-based one (FMD: Fresh Memory dictionary).
- Added import and export from/to CSV file formats.
- Added a new "Example" field to cards.
- The keyword in an example is automatically highlighted in the test view. The keyword is either the exact match of the "Question" field or a word prefixed with '%' character.
- Flashcards test:
- Added "Show answers" checkbox
- When card contents were changed, the card is immediately updated in the test view
- If one or more cards are removed, the situation is gracefully handled and the test view is properly updated
- When trying to start already running test, switch to the test view
- Polished the GUI
- Window state saving for both main and test views.
- Main window features:
- Recent files
- Save copy (like "Save as" but doesn't change the name of the current file)
- Show/hide toolbars
- Convinience: Replace the Ctrl+D "Delete cards" hotkey with Del.
- Find dialog:
- Added "Add regexp" button. It displays a menu of commonly used regular expressions.
- Polished the GUI
- Command-line arguments:
- Added --help, -h options
- The program accepts a dictionary filename to be loaded. This makes possible to bind the .fmd dictionary files with freshmemory program.
(09 Sep 2007)
- Inserting and removing cards (rows)
- Cut/Copy/Paste cards with the system clipboard
- Finding cards:
- all standard find options
- regular expressions
- "Find Again" action
- Add icons to buttons and windows
- Add About dialog
- Add --version, -v options
- Add options to the project file to enable the following commands:
- make release
- make install, make release install (Linux)
- A lot of bugs fixed
(23 Aug 2007)
The first release. Implemented basic features:
- Creating, editing, saving and loading dictionaries
- Flashcards test